I want a Roma for Roma fans, Jose Mourinho's Official Roma Presentation at Roma.

José Mourinho was presented to the media on Thursday afternoon, at a glamorous event in the heart of Rome's historic district.

Journalists from around the world descended upon Terrazza Caffarelli for a first glimpse at the Portuguese boss - and a first opportunity to ask him questions about his new role at AS Roma.

The world-famous boss was on fine form as he addressed the media; here's everything he had to say in front of reporters.

Mourinho began proceedings with a short address of his own, one mainly directed at the club's supporters.

“First and foremost I need to thank the fans," he said. 

"Their reaction, since the announcement, has been truly amazing. I immediately felt that strength of feeling from them. I have not done anything [yet] to deserve that, so I immediately felt in their debt. The welcome has been amazing. So, the first thing I need to do is thank all of them for that.

“Beyond that, I need to thank everyone at the club, the ownership, the Friedkin family, Tiago Pinto, all of you. But the reaction of the fans really has been amazing and has left a big impression on me.

" I guess the question is coming anyway, so perhaps I can answer it in advance: ‘Why am I here?’ Well, we are near to the statue of Marcus Aurelius and, as he once said, ‘Nulla viene dal nulla, nulla ritorna dal nulla’ ('Nothing can come out of nothing, any more than a thing can go back to nothing'). This has a very similar feeling to what I experienced when I spoke with Dan and Ryan for the first time.

“What they want for the club is very clear. You should never forget the past, but we want to build a future. In football the word ‘time’ never seems to exist, but here it does. What the ownership want is not success today and then problems tomorrow. They want to create a sustainable system. They want to leave a legacy for the future. That is why I am here.

“Now the time has come to work. Along with my staff, those who have come with me, but my staff work with all of us. Everyone. We are not here on holiday, to be tourists – we are here to work.

"Roma has the name, the symbol and the colours of Rome, it is linked with the city throughout the world. That’s a big responsibility. But we are here to work. And that is what we will do. Today, first training is at 4pm. See you later.”

The pressure, the scrutiny that exists in this city – what sort of effect has that had on you? Are you excited to be working in a city where they talk about football all day?

“I have already had to change my phone number three times! I don’t know how you all found it!

“But, jokes apart, it’s amazing, it’s incredible. When you work in Italy and then you go elsewhere, you miss the place where they talk about football all the time. There is work to be done internally, within the club we need to focus on the work that needs to be done. You [journalists] have your jobs, and we have ours. I am not a terribly nice person when I work. I defend my club, and that means what we do internally, wherever possible, should stay inside. All of us think that way. But, nevertheless, we respect the job you have to do.”

How will you try to change the DNA of this squad of players?

We need to get to know the squad. It’s important to do that. There will be fundamental principles, there will be principles that are non-negotiable. Today is the first day of training and I want the players to understand straight away how we are going to work

My way of working is very simple: at 100%. And that does not just go for the players, but every one of us inside the club. I spent my quarantine period at the training centre; I saw the great desire that exists for us to get working together. And that’s a great feeling to have. A great feeling.”

Read the rest of the excerpt on

https://www.asroma.com/en/news/2021/7/jose-mourinho-the-first-press-conference-in-full

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benfica confirm €126m Atletico Madrid bid for Joao Felix

Nigeria Vs Germany, I Hope it Won't Be A Match Decided Before Any Ball Has Been Kicked.

Super Eagles Striker, Isaac Success, Proposes To His Girlfriend